Thursday, January 16, 2014

70s music challenge

Over at his place, Withywindle has a list of great music of the 1970s.  Posted without commentary or explanation, I'll assume that the list is highly personal.  So, one is tempted to do the same for the same time period. 

Favorite 1970s songs (in no particular order). 

Neil Young:   After the Gold Rush.  I became obsessed with this song after the girls group sang it at a rare co-ed campfire when I was in summer camp.  Still love it today.  It's hard to pick just one Neil tune. 

Gladys Knight and the Pips:   Midnight Train to Georgia.  Probably doesn't make my top 10 if not for a certain karaoke night before my first ever conference paper.  I was a Pip.  We did the spin move.  It was awesome. 

David Bowie:  Heroes  My Bowie obsession continues since I first heard him in the 1980s.  This is perhaps my favorite Bowie song, if not my first.  Rebel Rebel was my other choice here. 

Bay City Rollers:  Saturday Night  You know it.  I know it.   We all know it.  I get one cheesy one.  This is it.  I watched the Saturday morning cartoon show.  Deal with it.  (And now you have an earworm, you're welcome).

Thelma Houston:  Don't Leave Me This Way  Because disco is awesome. 

Gloria GaynorI Will Survive  Because disco plus female empowerment is awesome.  Plus, never failed to get everybody on the dance floor at the house parties in grad school.  Seriously.  Everyone.

The Knack:  Good Girls Don't   My Sharona was bigger but this was better.

Bruce Springsteen:  Thunder Road  I came to Bruce Springsteen late in life.  I knew little beyond the Born in the USA album.  I was missing a lot.  Especially this.  Possibly the best rock song ever.  I sang it to my daughter as a lullaby every night for four years straight.  She called it "Screen Door Slams".

Corner of the Sky:  Stephen Schwartz/John Rubinstein (and my brother's piano version).  There were better musicals in the 1970s, but this song stuck.  My brother was very tolerant to let me sing along while he played.  You have no idea how tolerant.

The Who:  Won't Get Fooled Again  Intellectually I know the Stones and the Beatles are better and more important.  But my heart beats for The Who.  


3 comments:

  1. My list is personal, arbitrary, insufficient, bent to include one song per year, and largely composed of songs I happen to have in my ITunes folder. (I once had a cassette of Boston, but it got purged at some point, before I could digitize it, and I've never replaced it with MP3 downloads; but I liked them a lot too.) I hope it's fun. I don't actually know most of the songs on your list--by name, anyway--but then, I'm pretty limited in what I do know of 70s music. Thank you!--I'll see about listening to your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now listened to it for a first time! Not at bad. I knew "After the Gold Rush" like the back of my hand, but had never known the title--typical. I didn't actually know "Saturday Night." Bowie: I would have picked "Ashes to Ashes." The point, of course, is now to know about them, re-listen at my leisure, and not incidentally get more of a sense of who you are from your sense of taste. A slow process.

    Thanks for posting! With Goldberry, you, and Russell responding, this counts as one of my more influential posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Withy, you are finding core audience. Sadly it's liberal/leftists with a conservatarian localist bent. IIRC, I'm older than you so I experienced much of this music first hand at the time of release, which makes. I've enjoyed this. Since Russell has REAL ACTUAL READERS maybe it will take off from there.

    ReplyDelete