Tuesday, February 17, 2015

I don't think you know what that word means

Apparently, winning every major award in the profession, holding a job at the most prestigious institution, and heading it's major organization is being marginalized.  Or something.  Gordon Wood has a bad case of the white boy blues.

My own favorite piece of "Please help me, I've lost my mind! Stop me before I write again!" was when he lauded Bailyn for inventing Atlantic history and then later criticized William and Mary Quarterly for having articles about Atlantic History.  Good grief.

1 comment:

  1. Wood was still publishing sharp, fully aware stuff in TNR or NYRB as recently as 2007 or 2008. I suppose there may have been elements of old-white-scholar crankiness at the shifts in the profession over the 1990s and the first decade of the century peaking out in writings for a while, but this overboard whine really kind of surprises me. I hope it was just a bad day for him.

    ReplyDelete